Sunday, April 12, 2009

Final Reflection! Huat lah!

After reading my first post, I still believe that effective communication is very useful and important. Being able to communicate effectively allows me to put across my ideas clearly, reduces misunderstanding and any possible interpersonal conflicts that might arise. However, though personal experiences, I find that this skill is inapplicable to some people who are numbskull and simply will not listen to any word from you. This situation happens when the other party is not engaged in active listening. Are there any good solutions that you can think of to handle this kind of people?

There are other new things that I have learned in this course too. For instance, writing is also a form of effective communication. This skill is especially important when it comes to resume and cover letter writing. As these two materials will be read by the potential employers, the first impression that they have is important.

Having gone through a horrifying interview experience with two interviewers from “Hell”, I realized I am still having many shortcomings in many areas. At this point, I feel very thankful that I am still a Year 2 student and I still have the time to add on to whatever I am lacking.

Presentation is also another important communication skill that can be enhanced with the help of beautifully designed slides. I do not know how I will fare in my presentation but I believe that practice helps to perfect it. More importantly, I hope that I will show a funky spirit for the presentation tomorrow and send the message to the others ( like Annie) that I am not to be trifled with too.

7 comments:

  1. This is "classic Gillian," a rambling stream of ideas diverted from the river of this term's wide experience. What can I say?

    Numbskulls? Learn to deal with them as best as you can. Aim for win-win solutions and constructive dialogue. When you can't achieve what you want or what is best for all involved, remember that geography and locomotion are two of your best friends.

    Writing? It all boils down to having important content, organizing such ideas, and presenting them so that others not only understand but also appreciate. The 7Cs are really the tea cup that makes what you're serving palatable.

    Hell in an interview? Yes, you have plenty of time to refine your skills, and the items on your resume!

    Beautifully designed slides? They take work and an imagination.

    You're a hard-working, sensitive, and fun girl, Gillian. It's been a pleasure for me to work with you in class this term.

    Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad,
    I am surprised to see what a long comment you have given me. It has been most informative.

    I have a fun time being taught by you too. Like what others have mentioned in the class, you are the one of the few professors that has not bored me in lessons. Thank you very much for sharing some personal experience that you face, it really brings the distance between a teacher and a student closer. Most importantly, please pardon me for some strange outbursts and making silly comments at certain time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gillian,
    You sounds like a presenter of a chinese new year variety show by using "Huat lah!" in your title. In your first paragraph, you mentioned about numbskull who will not listen any word from you. I guess they are probably some reason why there are so uninterested in your conversation. Perhaps, you can try to find out why they feel that way and probably change the way or tone during your conversations with them.

    During your presentation on monday, I feel that you were natural and presented your slides quite smoothly. The one thing that I find distracting is the "classic Gillian" peace sign that you performed during your presentation. You could probably cut down on that during a formal presentation.

    It's great to meet such a cheerful and friendly lifescience junior in this module!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gillian,
    One thing that I agree with you is that I do feel fortunate that we are still year two students and do not have to go into the working industry as fast as the other seniors.
    However, I feel that we should take this period of time to improve our presentation and communication skills so that when we go out to the working industry, we can be more prepared and confident to present ourselves to our potential employers. This will also increase the chances of us getting into a good company don't you think?
    Lastly, I would like to thank you for being such a good blogging buddy by constantly editing my posts and giving me comments on how i should improve. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zoelyn,
    I agree with you wholeheartedly.You are also very welcome! You also help edit my blog posts. Hope you do not suffer from amemia after all these editing. I admit some of my posts can be quite "vomiting blood".

    Lastly,let GAMBATTE here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Gillian,
    It is also interesting how you choose to use the colloquial Hokkien phrase in your title. I guess the first step to improvement is often awareness of self, i.e. how good or bad you are, how we are not perfect. It is good that you (and I guess most of us) came to that realization in this module through the different aspects of this module. After we know our shortcomings, then we can better improve ourselves.

    I am pretty glad that we (and Zoelyn) ended up in this module together. This module was extra fun because of you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey did our interview leave you with a scar? I certainly hope not! We just really wanted to give you a realistic point of view of how interviewers might be.

    Anyway, you have a good 1 or 2 years ahead of you in NUS still, and I hope that you will be able to shine among your peers when you stand up to give presentations during other classes in the future!

    ReplyDelete